The Ultimate Step by Step Guide to Opt-In Freebies | Part 2
This part 2 has been in the works for a LOOOOOONG time! I wanted to show you in real time, or as close to real time as possible, how to make a beautiful download that will help you acquire email addresses. The first step to a successful Opt-In Freebie or what is really the front door to your sales funnel, is planning. You want to make more money, right? Right! So I created a super easy to follow and get-it-done worksheet. The real time part, is you walking through the steps, with my help. This is how I did mine and is the exact worksheet I put together to help me steer clear of overwhelm and procrastination, truth be told!
If you are tired of having your aunts and friends on your email list or you are tired of not having one, don't know how to start, why you need one or how it can help, you are in the right place. Not many home based businesses take the time to create an incentive to get people to join their email list. Are you a photographer, graphic designer, real estate agent, interior designer, blogger?
Opt-In Freebies are the secret sauce for home based businesses, freelancers, solopreneurs, independent contractors...whatever you call yourself. The amazing secret is, is that most people in your field, are NOT DOING THIS! You will quickly separate yourself from the have's and the have not's. Because, every time you have an event, you have an email list to send to. Social media is great, but this strategy gives you an extra layer of marketing goodness that your competition doesn't have. So, let's get started!
If you haven't read Part 1 of Opt-In Freebies, click on the link and come right back!
In this post you will learn how to:
• Use Your Opt-In Freebie, Brainstorm Worksheet
• Brand Your Opt-In Freebie | Create a recognizable style and color palette that you will use consistently.
• Find and Use Design Elements for a Pretty + Professional Presentation
• Use Canva To Design Your Opt-In Freebie
Opt-In Freebies are what I call, Bird Seed Marketing... or B.S. Marketing for short. HA! Just kidding. This is definitely NOT B.S.! It will be your secret weapon and will set you apart from your competitors. IMMEDIATELY.
This type of marketing delivers helpful information in small, bite sized bits that are not overwhelming. If you provide documents, or even videos, which are great for growing your business, just ignore the fact that it probably scares the you know what out of you...your audience can take action.
It also allows you to build trust with your "Perfect Client". If you don't have a description of your P.C. (sorry, couldn't help it!), click on the link below and get access to my digital library. In it you will find a thorough Target Marketing Worksheet that will help you zero in on who you want to serve. I also have a column in my Opt-In Freebie Worksheet to help you find your P.C.. Start here first, because once you know who your P.C. is, you will have a better understanding of what their problems are and the best worksheets, cheat sheets, and planners that you can provide them with...for FREE.
Design Your Printable PDF
- Go to Canva.com.
- Create an account, if you don't have one already.
- Use your Opt-In Freebie Worksheet as a reference for what type of download will best solve your P.C.'s problem.
- Choose a Template. Click the MORE button to see all of the template options.
- Choose images and a format for the design of a cover for your document that matches your brand. Don't want a cover? No problem. But don't forget to use a header that has the title of your document in bold and the largest font that will appear on your freebie. Canva pairs fonts and has customizable headers...SO EASY!
- If you want to create a cheat sheet, choose an info graphic template and customize it with icons and your valuable info.
- Use Canva's icons, shapes and images or go to designcuts.com or creativemarket.com.
- To create a worksheet, jot down your steps and questions or prompts on paper first. Brainstorming this way, ensures that you don't stare off into space at your computer, with no clue where to begin.
- Include a call to action at the bottom, such as, "If you have any questions, please email me at email@example.com. In Canva you can even highlight the email address and make it a clickable link to make it that much easier for someone to want to sign up.
- Don't forget to add what you want them to do to stay connected. Choose from: "Follow me on Social Media", Include the links. "If you liked this, you will love my post on xyz to help your target market fall head over heals in love with your services." "Are you short on time and need pre-made designs for your home based business? There are items in my shop that will get you started right now." (Add a clickable link.)
- Be sure to include your logo or company name at the bottom in a small font such as an 8 or 9 pt. typeface.
Example: All Rights Reserved 2016 | Sweet Blue Bird Design Co. | www.sweetbluebirddesignco.com
- When finished, save as a high resolution PDF.
The Follow Up
Remember to sprinkle different freebies throughout your blog posts, social media posts and even in your emails. Those that are on your list (because of your awesome freebies!), will click open your email if you consistently provide solutions to their business problems.
Having a plan will help you not get confused or overwhelmed. It is CRAZY IMPORTANT to print out my worksheet or any other marketing smartie pants' worksheet for that matter and sit your butt down right on top of all the excuses, and just DO IT! Promise yourself a reward for when you finish the planning step. Even call a girlfriend and schedule a fun hang out for after you are done.
Put it on your calendar. Trick yourself. Whatever you have to do! I am speaking from experience. You will feel a sense of relief because:
- You have a plan
- You just have to check each "to-do" off. (I have done the hard part for you.)
- Create it in Canva and avoid the dreaded STARE OFF at all of the choices laid out before you...
because of your plan.
- Can pat yourself on the back, because you have created the beginning of a sales funnel and you don't even know what the heck that is! (It is just providing 1. Awareness 2. Consideration 3. Decision Making and builds trust now for sales later.)
- You will start getting email addresses rolling in.
- You will no longer be beating yourself up in your brain, because you actually did it!
Us women have had so many people treat us badly at times, that we need to prove to ourselves that we are good enough, strong enough and smart enough. Because we are.
Please let me know in the comments below if this post helped you. I also would love to hear what Opt-In Freebie you have chosen and why. Have fun!!
If you need some pre-made design templates for your business, my shop has business cards, Facebook cover photos, Digital Papers and a few other goodies to help you. If you would like to see a template for your niche, please type it in the comments below and I will make it happen. Anyone that makes suggestions for shop items will receive the item for FREE in downloadable and customizable format. You will also have the item named by you.
Click the image below to see what The Shoppe has to offer.